THE CLASS OF '86



Tell us about your SENIOR year of high school!

General Vanier Secondary School
Class of 1986



1. Where was your high school?
Cornwall, Ontario. The armpit of Canada.


2. What kind of job did you have?
I was part of an experimental new program at my school, during my senior year. Students that were a little bit more advance and mature were specifically chosen to partake in a co-op program, going to school half-days, then, working at a job placement, with the expectation that the extra training and education would lead to better opportunities after graduation. It worked beautifully for me, as I had a wonderful time working at a pet shop, a salon/spa and a book store. All three places asked me to work full-time for them, after high school graduation.


3. Were you a party animal?
I was a mature and self-respectful party-goer, in high school. Once I graduated and turned 19, though, I got wasted drunk as often as humanly possible. I also ended up working at the bars I frequented.


4. Were you considered a jock?
Pffft! Fucking jocks.


5. Were you in choir/band or orchestra?
I never had the patience to learn how to play an instrument. Hell, I couldn't even read music let alone play it! God only knows how I ended up being the lead female vocalist of a pop-rock cover band after high school.


6. Were you a nerd?
Math, science or computer nerd? No, I barely passed those classes. But I could hold my own in a conversation about Star Wars, X-Men, Doctor Who, Batman, Star Trek and Superman. I later became a comics creator, with professional ties to Marvel and DC, and also appeared with actor, Henry Cavil, in the movie, Man of Steel.


7. Where did you eat during lunch?
In the cafeteria with besties Cindy & Kim Bergeron, Rodney Smith, Keith Laplante, David Sutherland, Donald Vaillancourt, Gordie Dupras, Lori Hope, Mitch Lortie, Steve Campbell and so many other wonderful people that I still think about, so very often, with much fondness.



8. Do you still talk to the person you went to prom with?
I never went to prom, but I sometimes wish I had.


9. Are you planning on going to the next high school reunion?
No. It would feel really weird, with all the "popular" girls who once thought I was a fat, ugly loser watching me sign autographs and pose for pictures with a few of my fans [sarcasm].


10. Are you still in contact with people from high school?
You betcha! Facebook has enriched my life, in so many ways.


11. Do you know where your high school sweetheart is?
Yes! Rodney Smith and I reconnected on Facebook, just a few months ago!


12. Did you know your spouse?
Technically, yes. I'd heard him on the radio, as a DJ, since I was 5 years old but we didn't meet for the first time until 1988.


13. Did you skip school?
Did I skip school? LOL! Has anyone beaten my record of 68 days missed, in grade 12, yet?


14. Did you get suspended?
Close a couple of times. I've always been defiant of authority. "You're Not the Boss of Me" was pretty much my motto in high school. Come to think of it...it STILL is!


15. It's Friday night, where were you?
Trapped in a century-old farmhouse, in the middle of fucking nowhere, as my mother had the brilliant idea to move the family 50 km away from my high school, in October of my senior year...and I didn't have a car to go anywhere!


16. What was your favorite subject?
It's a tie between English and Art class ‒ but Marketing was fun, too, if only because my marketing teacher, Mr. Green, was sexually obsessed with me and would flirt with me, kiss me and give me compliments on my body. I had that perverted bastard wrapped around my little finger!


17. What was your worst subject?
I started off well in grade 10 computer class. So well, in fact, that I became a computer instructor, helping people who had never even touched a computer before learn how to handle the tech of the times (Commodore 64, Commodore P.E.T., Commodore Vic-20). However, by grade 12, the technological advances were coming so fast, I just couldn't keep up. My teacher took pity on me and bumped my 46% to a 51% so I could graduate from high school, bless his heart!


18. Can you sing the fight/school song?
Did we have one? All I remember is: "G.V.S.S. ‒ the best!"


19. What was your mascot?
I remember, we were known as the Vikings but... I'm not sure a viking was our actual mascot.


20. If you could go back and do it over again would you?
If I could repeat the last 4 months of grade 11 and the first 4 months of grade 12 (1985), hell yeah! The time before and after that wasn't...great.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.